Sunday, April 18, 2010

Council President Steadfast Amidst Allegations

By Randy Koniowka

George Primeau is the classic American family man. Walk into his home on Western Avenue in the city and it becomes clearly evident from the proud display of photos, and the toys strewn about the garage by grandchildren.

I caught Primeau on a Saturday afternoon, he was assembling a new vacuum for the house. "These things don't last as long as they used to," he jested. We then moved into the dining room where we encountered his wife Sheila, who was on her way out.

Almost out the door, she paused, perhaps as if she forgot her keys. But it was a kiss for husband of 37 years that she almost forgot. "I love you," they both uttered to each other.

George Primeau has the hands of a working man. They are big, strong and grit stained. He is a mechanic by trade, and has owned and operated a body shop at the corner of High and Garner Streets in the city for decades. It's a family operation, with his son's and wife all partaking. Family is a running theme with George.

As we begin to discuss the recent allegations regarding ethics violations, Primeau becomes sullen. His melancholy becomes evident when he begins to discuss how the last several weeks have affected his family. "I have broad shoulders, I can handle this, but it's seeing my family get hurt that really bothers me."

Primeau is alleged to have benefited from a land deal regarding the residential development constructed in 2005 called Brighton Pointe. It is alleged that Primeau possibily used his office for personal gain, when he received a parcel of land at no cost from Marini Builders.

"I offered to pay for the land but Marini did not want anything for it. It's marsh land that Marini did not want or need. As for the paper street, there is legal precedent that entitles me to that land. As for the ordinance I sponsored, in hindsight, perhaps I should have abstained. If corporation council advised me to abstain, I would have. The ordinance was going to pass with or without me. It's what the neighborhood wanted, I was representing my constituents."

Primeau made it a point to detail that during his tenure on the council, he has made every effort to be honest and to not abuse his office. "When my son came to me saying he wanted to be a fireman, I was against it, both as a father and a councilman. He wanted me to talk to the Mayor, but I told him that I couldn't. I sponsored legislation discontinuing health benefits for council members. I also gave up a 25,000 contract with the city. I have never abused my office for personal gain."

I then asked Primeau about the validity of the allegations against him. "Take into consideration where it's coming from. There has always been a coup against us, they have always been after John. Believe it or not, I don't hate Tim Thibodeau, I understand this coming from Timmy. It's when it comes from a member of the Council that is most upsetting. They are using this as a way to get ahead and they don't care who they step on."

Primeau would like the Albany County District Attorney to look into the matter in order to bring closure. "We need to get back to work on the positive things going on in this city. Ever since the story came out, I have been getting calls from people I have not heard from in years saying things like, stay strong, keep fighting, we need you in City Hall. I am proud of the work we have done in the past 11 years and we have more to do."

Primeau is in the middle of his thrid term on the Council and has every intention of running again. I asked Primeau that inspite of everything, why he just doesn't call it quits. "I'll do this until I don't have it in me anymore. I enjoy helping people and I feel like I have made a difference. I love the city of Cohoes, thats why I do it."

No comments:

Post a Comment